Thursday, November 1, 2012

11/1

Progress

Today kicked off NaNoWriMo.  I've come to terms with NaNo in that I appreciate that I can use it to set goals and then push myself to achieve those goals.  But I'm not writing 50,000 words of a fresh novel this month because that wouldn't be useful for me.  I'm going to whip DDS into shape instead.

Today I rewrote the first chapter.  Lots of new material was added.  Lots of things were cut.  It wasn't fresh writing, and it went a lot faster than fresh writing goes, but I did put a lot of work into it and I'm liking the results.  So 2,897 words of re-writing. 

Things I Consumed

Today I watched a lot of Adventure Time while I folded laundry.  The best part was the Ice King singing Marcelline's Fry Song  (original Marcelline Fry Song for reference).  The song is great because it's awkward, and the Ice King singing is great because it's still awkward.  But the thing I've been thinking about is how the show made a joke about itself.  How it referenced itself and it worked.  That original Fry Song was not very long, yet it was memorable enough that when it was referenced nearly two seasons later, it still made sense and it was funny.  It added an extra layer of meaning onto itself. 

I'm wondering if a single self contained story can do that.  This is a series, and the creators could judge what worked and what didn't and hone in on the parts people liked and repeat them.  But can you do that if you don't have that feedback?  Maybe it's just a risk that it might not work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment